Pages

Sunday, April 08, 2012

Easter Fish

I've got some fish marinating in my fridge as a type this.  Many people commemorate Easter with dyed eggs and chocolate, but I find fish to be much more suitable for the occasion.  Afterall, the Resurrection was simple, wasn't it?  It happened quietly and without fanfare.  The contrast between Palm Sunday and Easter Sunday is stark.

I find myself moved most not by a haloed, glorious Christ, kicking death in the nads and emerging from the tomb like some invincible champion, although that's pretty cool, too.  But I feel the love of Jesus most intensely on the shore of Galilee, there with just his disciples, eating fish and bread:
 Jesus said to them, “Come and have breakfast.” None of the disciples dared ask him, “Who are you?” They knew it was the Lord.  Jesus came, took the bread and gave it to them, and did the same with the fish.  This was now the third time Jesus appeared to his disciples after he was raised from the dead.  (John 21:12-14) 
 In this moment, Jesus reveals his deepest concerns to his closest friends: that they would know and reciprocate his love for them, that they would take care of one another, and that they would carry his love and his teachings into all the world (vv. 15-23).  And the world forever changed, over a plate of fish and bread.

Excuse me.  I've got some cooking to do . . .

2 comments:

Folgha said...

Ken, I had meant to say this earlier, but your comment about Jesus "kicking death in the nads," well...I hurt myself laughing the first time I read it, and even now, weeks later, I chuckle to see it.

Heh heh, kick it in the nads...

Kenneth Taylor said...

Lol, thanks Geoff, glad you enjoyed that haha.