Pages

Sunday, August 04, 2019

Elevate Discontent

The Apostle Paul said he had learned to be content in all things--an impressive statement for someone who had suffered wrongful imprisonment, torture, shipwreck, betrayal, and all of the unceasing labor involved in his efforts to expand and unify the varying strands of Christian communities being spawned during his time. 

I have also been content in all things.  But for me, it wasn't learned and it's not nearly as impressive.  My contentedness tends to be my natural disposition, and it's rarely been challenged. I've typically thought of my contentment as a good thing, but recently I have been calling it into question.  I enjoy life.  I have my basic physical needs met, I have family and friends that I love, and I have plenty of hobbies and passions that ensure I am always doing something I enjoy during my free time.  Naturally, I'd be quite content to keep living life exactly the way I'm living it now for . . . well, for who knows how long.  But . . .

The concept of wasted potential has been pressing itself upon me.  Have I buried my talent?  Have I conceived of God as a hard master, and consequently pursued what is safe?  Please understand, I don't consider "ordinary life" to be a waste of anything, necessarily.  My belief remains strong that most of "thy will be done" happens in the course of "ordinary" life.    But there is a growing sense in me that I want to do even ordinary life exceptionally well. In my vocation, in my relationships, in my thoughts, deeds, and words, I want to excel.

It's a lot to think about all at once, and it feels overwhelming when I try.  I'm not sure where to start.  I need wisdom.



 

No comments: