Pages

Friday, June 09, 2006

My Language Spiel

I've been resisting this for a while now, but I finally would like to blog a little spiel about my perspective on language and grammmar.

If I think edible is a ridiculously illogical word because almost every other -able or -ible word just attaches the -able or -ible to the end of the word and I prefer to keep with the simpler system and say eatable because I don't see any good reason in the world that eat should be so special as to warrant it being treated differently than the rest of the words in the English language, then it's quite unfortunate that if I say eatable I'm perceived as being less intelligent than someone who says edible even if they are merely saying what they've been taught to say and did not actually put any thoughtful consideration into their choice of words at all.

These are the conjugations of the English verb "be": am, is, are, was, were. Now, look at their respective contractions:

were + not = weren't
was + not = wasn't
are + not = aren't
is + not = isn't
am + not = ?

It's unfortunate that that question mark is there because ain't would be incredibly useful in filling that gap. Yet, if I use "ain't" I'm considered unintelligent by many who, if asked, wouldn't even be able to tell you why it's bad. It's bad because over a century ago Joe Shmoe Grammarian wrote a book and said it was and everybody believed him. (Fyi, there are certain dialects of English spoken among upper-class British in which "ain't" is a perfectly normal, acceptable word.)

I find it strange that in a country often so proudly referred to as a "melting pot" because of its rich cultural heritage, in a country obsessively enamored with diversity in ethnicity, culture, religion, art, etc., we believe that everyone should speak the same way and have very little choice in how they express themselves and that people with different accents, dialects, and grammars are somehow less intelligent.

I find it strange that in a country where relativism and pluralism have permeated our lives, we think there is only one "correct" way to speak.

When people talk about "freedom of speech," they should actually say "freedom of content of speech" because the form of our speech is certainly anything but free. It is shackled.

And perhaps most unfortunately of all, many are not aware that language is one of the last bastions of discrimination and racism in our country. It is no longer acceptable to judge anyone based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc., but it is still very much acceptable to judge someone based on their accent, dialect, grammar, etc. If you associate a southern accent with being dumb or uneducated, no one will condemn you for it. If you associate African-American dialects with ignorance, you certainly won't stir up any controversy.

For most, there's nothing wrong with the fact that the European-Americans have dictated the "right" way to speak to the other ethnic groups. Well, I'm saying that it is wrong. Simply put, people should be able to choose how they speak. I would love to say how people might react if the shoe were on the other foot. What if we woke up tomorrow and everyone had to speak African-American Vernacular, and if you didn't, you were stigmatized as, at best, uneducated, at worst, a thug or a criminal? Hmmm . . .

Again, as simply as I can put it, people should be able to choose how they speak.

~Ken, Born of Fire

5 comments:

ipodmomma said...

very interesting observation....

hmmm.... something to ponder...

Anonymous said...

I agree and disagree at the same time.

I don't think anyone should be judged as stupid or ignorant because of their speech (although I find myself doing just that from time to time myself), for the precise reasons you mentioned.

However, there is a certain fear within me that arises when I think of giving everyone the liberty to speak however they wherever they wish (the wherever is the key), then all heck would break loose as no one would be able to communicate to each other. For example, if I were to visit Japan, or if my family had moved there and I was born into that culture, then I would be expected to learn the standard Japanese, this time written by Mitsuyoshi Giramaritaran, if I expected myself to be understood by the majority of the people. The reason for this, I guess, is honestly just a convenience factor. It's more convenient (i.e., it's the way it is), that the minority of the people learn the dialect of the majority, and not vice-versa.

Of course, on than always argue that it isn't actually the dialect used by the majority that we do, in fact, have to learn. Maybe I should say the dialect of the affluent.

Anonymous said...

For the most part, I agree. However, there is some use in having an agreed-upon standard for business and scientific writing. Because of this standard, I am able to read papers written by Indian scientists, Russian scientists, Czech scientists, and so on...

Is grammar-book English better or more proper than other forms of English? More correct? More refined? More beautiful? Better in any particular way? No. But it is a standard, and we rely on standards.

Is TCP/IP the best networking protocol ever? Probably not. But it is a standard. Likewise Bluetooth and 802.11g.

Every field of study has its own standard of communication. To outsiders, it's jargon creating a barrier to easy entry into the field. To insiders, it's an needed standard allowing different and finer distinctions than normal English allows.

To put it another way, if you want to work as an engineer, you have to learn to talk engineering. If you want to be a doctor, you have to learn to speak doctorese. Grammar-book English is simply a part of the jargon.

Anonymous said...

PS - It's also worth noting that standards can change.

http://www.plainlanguage.gov/
http://www.plainenglish.co.uk/

Kenneth Taylor said...

Just to clarify, I'm not at all opposed to standards. I agree that the standard is extremely useful. I advocate everyone learning the standard English, but just not at the expense of losing their native dialect. In the schools, we should teach kids about dialects and about context-appropriate speech, instead of asserting that the standard is the "right" way to speak. That's all I'm saying.