Pages

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Friends, Part VIII


Welcome to Friends, Part VIII:. The subject today is the young lady in the middle of this picture, Sally D'Avy, younger sister to Kelly and Molly, the subjects of those last two blogs.

Sally is a good bit younger than Kelly and Molly. She's not in college yet, thus I don't really have the opportunity to see her very often, except for when she comes to Lafayette to visit her siblings. Despite the infrequency of our meetings, I feel a unique kinship with Sally. I often find myself unusually excited to see her and inexplicably exuberant in her presence. I think I can pinpoint the precise moment when this began, in a memory labeled "I'm SERIOUS!"

I forget exactly what the occasion was, but a bunch of us were eating dinner at some restaurant in Lafayette. Sally was in town, so she joined us. And at the time, I had lately been in the habit of doing this thing where I would be pretending to laugh at something, and then I would suddenly sober my expression, rip my glasses from my face, and say "I'm SERIOUS!" People would usually laugh a good bit, so I would jump at the chance to do it around anyone who hadn't seen it yet. Sally hadn't seen it yet, so I did it to her. She began laughing so much that tears began rolling down her face!

I would later learn that Sally's laugh-tears weren't an infrequent occurrence for her. Regardless, in that moment, it felt quite special for someone to laugh so much at my antics. The bond was forged.

Of course, I don't think that's the whole reason of why I've come to like Sally so much, but that was certainly the beginning of it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was funny.

I'm serious, it was.

Anonymous said...

hey kenny ken ken! wow, that was a great blog, i read it to my parents, and they said that you're really good at writing, that it was very poetic. i have to agree, and thanks for putting something about me on your page, that was quite kind of you. if you thought i was laughing a lot at the restaurant, you should have seen me just now when i read that, the tears were in a constant flow. and to josh: i don't even know what to say to that, just that you encouraged the tears even more!

Anonymous said...

Can't say it was the first time I've made a woman cry.

Probably won't be the last, either.

Anonymous said...

oooooh .... wait ...

Those kind of tears ....

Riiiiiight.